General Practice Manager
Westcotts is a Top 50+50 Accountancy Practice and Real Living Wage Employer with over 280 team members based in 17 offices across Devon and Somerset.
We are now looking for an excellent Accounts Manager who balances both technical and interpersonal skills to help us manage a client portfolio in our Plymouth office. This role is the key interface between our technical team and our client businesses, which means that building and maintaining relationships with our clients is as important as managing the team doing the work; that understanding technical requirements is equal to explaining to clients why they matter. And that knowing our client’s outcomes and how they change over time is mission critical for making sure we aim in the right direction when advising. There’s a mix between supporting clients with their core compliance requirements, with also helping them with various business improvement or advisory services to help them grow and achieve their objectives., Client satisfaction and excellent service is crucial for us in this role and at Westcotts along with our other core values of respect, trust, and teamwork.
This role provides a great opportunity for achievements, recognition, and advancement; this will mean new challenges for you but growing job satisfaction. In the technical-service area in which we operate, little details can make the difference between a successful project and one that just about works out. The details matter and we expect you to do the best you can, to seek better ways of working and to share what you learn. You will receive excellent training and development that contributes to your education and will also benefit our clients.
What our team members in the same or similar roles say about the position / culture
“The team are really welcoming and down to earth. Ideas and questions can be discussed at all levels and there is a great family atmosphere. Regular social events make the team feel inclusive and it’s great to get to know those who work in other departments. “
“I am well supported by the Partners and Directors at the firm with professional development, client facing skills and progression. The management team take pride in making sure their team are respected.”
“As a Manager, I have the role of looking after clients and the team. I am the first contact for client queries, lead meetings and oversee the exceptional service we deliver. I also guide a team, making sure they feel valued and making Westcotts a great place to work.”
“You’re often the first point of contact for clients which is one of the things I enjoy the most about the role. You’re given the opportunity to help and make a difference at the earliest opportunity”.
“You get to develop the team you work with. Giving opportunity for training and growth through your own experience is something I benefited from when learning and love to pass on. This ultimately provides the best results for the clients we work with”.
The main duties (but not limited to) are the following:
- Overseeing and controlling a portfolio of clients to ensure compliance for tax and accounting purposes.
- To be the first point of contact for clients.
- Supervising team members and managing workflow through the office.
- Responsible for developing junior team members.
- Preparing and reviewing financial statements for limited companies, partnerships, and sole traders.
- Preparing tax computations and corporate and personal tax returns.
- Reviewing of VAT return preparation.
- Filing documents with HMRC and Companies House on client’s behalf.
- Dealing with correspondence for clients.
- Providing business set-up services for clients including incorporations and HMRC registrations.
- Providing value added business advice including ways to minimise tax liabilities and maximise profits.
- Identifying opportunities to offer clients additional services.
- Assisting the partners and directors with specialist assignments as they arise, including providing technical support as necessary.
- Comply with internal policies and procedures, ethical standards, and regulatory requirements.
This job description summarises the main duties and responsibilities of the post, however the list is not exhaustive as the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties and projects of similar level and responsibility.
Attributes, Skills, Experience and Qualifications
Ideally the successful candidate will have the following attributes, skills, experience, and qualifications.
- Outgoing, socially confident, and emotionally controlled.
- A positive attitude, friendly and approachable.
- Resilient, able to multi-task and work independently / flexibly.
- Adaptable, organised, and conscientious.
- Takes the initiative, ability to prioritise and meet deadlines.
- Discreet, professional and team orientated in approach.
- Good working knowledge of general IT Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Social Media programmes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with proven accuracy and an eye for detail.
- Ability to present information effectively and concisely in emails and documents.
- Experience of working at an Accounts Manager level in an accountancy practice.
- Previous experience in accounts preparation for limited companies and unincorporated businesses.
- Previous experience in preparing tax computations and returns for limited companies, unincorporated business, and individuals.
- Ideally AAT or ACA / ACCA qualified.
Terms / Benefits
- 36.25 hours / 5 days per week (flexible and hybrid working is available).
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays.
- Annual salary review.
- Death in service 3 x annual salary.
- Access to Westfield Rewards and Health scheme.
- 24-hour external Employee Assistance Programme helpline.
- Flexible benefits including Buy and Sell holiday, Cycle to Work, Payroll Charity Giving and Private Medical Insurance.
- Introducing clients and team member commission schemes.
- Pension 3% rising to 4% (but matched up to 6%) after 4 years’ service.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please upload your CV along with a covering letter providing information on why you feel you would be suitable for the role in particular in regards to the desired attributes, skills, experience and qualifications. Please also state your current salary (if applicable), salary expectations and available start date.