Trainee Accounting Technician
Westcotts is a Top 50+50 Accountancy Practice with over 280 team members based in 17 offices across Devon and Somerset.
We are looking for a Trainee Accounting Technician to join our Business Services team in our Axminster office.
You will undertake both practical and theoretical training whilst studying for your AAT qualification under an apprenticeship agreement. The Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) is a professional qualification which can help you to achieve a rewarding career in accountancy. Studying for Level 3 and Level 4 AAT apprenticeship qualifications includes learning the fundamentals of bookkeeping and accounting standards, as well as personal and business tax. We will not only offer you support and mentoring throughout your training, but we will also fund the training, pay you your normal salary on the days you attend classes or time in the office to study and give you paid study leave to have extra revision time. You will also receive regular pay reviews.
It is not just about studying though as 80% of your time will be gaining valuable work experience supporting the rest of the team in providing a range of accounting and taxation services to our clients. You will prepare financial information, reports and returns for a wide range of clients, both businesses and individuals whilst also using computer software to record financial transactions. You will prepare and provide personal and company tax computations, regular VAT returns and bookkeeping services. You will also help in information gathering to analyse and report information about income and expenditure to support decision making, planning and control.
This job description summarises the main duties and responsibilities of the post, however the list is not exhaustive as the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties and projects of similar level and responsibility.
Attributes, Skills, Experience and Qualifications
Ideally the successful candidate will have the following attributes, skills, experience and qualifications.
- Analytical, methodical, and numerical.
- Outgoing, socially confident, and emotionally controlled.
- A positive attitude, friendly, and personable.
- Resilient, able to multi-task, and work independently / flexibly.
- Adaptable, organised, and conscientious.
- Takes the initiative, ability to prioritise, and meet deadlines.
- Professional and team orientated in approach.
- Good working knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with proven accuracy, and an eye for detail.
- Ability to learn new IT skills quickly.
- As the role requires the ability to study and pass formal exams, we would look for a strong track record in obtaining qualifications often indicated by strong results in GCSE’s, A-levels (or equivalent), however other academic history will also be considered.
Terms / Benefits
- 36.25 hours / 5 days per week (flexible and hybrid working available).
- Annual salary review and regular salary reviews whilst training.
- 20 days annual leave plus bank holidays increasing to 25 days plus bank holidays after 3 years’ service.
- Death in service 3 x annual salary.
- Access to Westfield Rewards and Health scheme.
- 24-hour external Employee Assistance Programme helpline.
- Flexible benefits including Buy and Sell holiday, Cycle to Work, Payroll Charity Giving, and Private Medical Insurance.
- Introducing clients and staff commission schemes.
- Pension 3% rising to 4% (but matched up to 6%) after 4 years’ service.
Opportunities to later progress and gain further qualifications are available for the right candidates.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please upload your CV along with a covering letter providing information on why you feel you would be suitable for the role in particular in regards to the desired attributes, skills, experience and qualifications.