Administration (including 'Pre-Packs')
Administration is a useful tool to help save part or all of a business. It is typically instigated by Directors or Shareholders, but can also be at the request of a creditor or debenture holder, usually a Bank. Administration is used when a company is insolvent and maybe facing serious threats from creditors. It offers a degree of protection from creditors, but it must be entered into with a purpose.
Administration can be used to trade a business with a view to restructuring and saving it. Failing this, an Administrator might look to sell the business to existing management or a third party. Finally, the Administrator can use the procedure to maximise asset realisations, producing a better return to creditors.
The main advantages of Administration are:
- Immediate protection from any legal action being taken by creditors
- Potential to rescue or sell the business, saving jobs
- The company is being handled by a Licenced Insolvency Practitioner who has a duty to creditors as a whole.
- The return to creditors is often more than in an alternative, such as Liquidation
A pre-pack Administration is essentially what it says on the tin. It pre-packs the business to a trade buyer, third party or existing management operating under a new company. The business is sold immediately or shortly after the company is placed into Administration.
There has been a lot of negative reports in the media about ‘pre-packs’, but used in the correct way, it is a useful tool in potentially saving jobs and ongoing trade.
The main advantages of a ‘pre-pack’ Administration are:
- Provides uninterrupted business trade
- Saves jobs
- Contracts with customers can be completed
- Maximising return for creditors from an insolvent company
Get in touch with one of our specialist advisers to see how we can help your business.
The specialist sectors we can advise you on include,
but are not limited to the following:
- Charities and Not for Profit
- Company accounts
- IT Contractors
- Manufacturing and Technology
- Owner Managed Businesses
- Professional Practices
- Property and Construction
- SME Market
- Timeshare Industry
- Tourism and Leisure
Whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever you want to achieve. With more offices in the South West than any other firm, we’re always on hand to offer face-to-face advice, opening doorways to a whole world of specialisms and services which are available to all of our clients whenever they need them.
To find your nearest office or get in touch with one of our specialist advisers, please go to our ‘contact us’ page.