International Client Services
We appreciate that many of our clients will have international dealings that require tax and accounting assistance.
We aim to remove the stress and worry and to save you time by explaining technical matters in a straightforward accessible manner.
For individuals, we regularly advise on:
- The impact of the statutory residence test rules.
- How UK rules interact with other jurisdictions with a view to avoiding double taxation.
- Domicile and remittance issues.
- UK tax advice and tax return services for non-UK residents who have UK sources of income.
- Capital Gains Tax on UK property disposals.
- The tax treatment of distributions received from offshore trusts; and
utilising HM Revenue and Customs’ Worldwide Disclosure Facility to help clients regularise their international tax affairs in the UK.
For businesses, we regularly advise on:
- The best structure for expansion for UK tax purposes for UK businesses looking to expand overseas or overseas businesses looking to expand into the UK.
- Maximising double tax relief claims.
- A full tax and accounting compliance service for overseas businesses setting up in the UK.
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwelling tax filings.
For offshore trusts, we regularly advise trustees on:
- Their UK tax reporting requirements.
- The tax impact of distributions to UK resident beneficiaries and/or settlors.
United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF) / Caisse Commune des Pensions du Personnel des Nations Unies (CCPPNU)
For individuals shortly retired from the United Nations or one of its agencies, following a period working abroad, we recognise that engaging with the UK tax authority can be a daunting prospect. We are happy to assist UNJSPF pensioners to:
- Understand their UK filing obligations.
- Register for and to prepare UK tax returns.
Using a precedent set in the Upper Tribunal Case of Maklin v HM Revenue & Customs  we can assist with:
- Determining what part of any UNJSPF pension may be exempt from UK taxation.
- Determining how long such an exemption may last until.
- Making any relevant tax reclaims for earlier years for those pensioners who may have paid tax on the whole of their pension (or on 90% of their pension, whilst rules allowed).
For those about to retire we can help model after-tax income levels to assist with choosing what level of lump sum pension to commute and what level of regular pension to take, to allow for an informed choice between the two.
Get in touch with one of our specialist advisers to see how we can help your business.
The specialist sectors we can advise you on include,
but are not limited to the following:
- Charities and Not for Profit
- Company accounts
- IT Contractors
- Manufacturing and Technology
- Owner Managed Businesses
- Professional Practices
- Property and Construction
- SME Market
- Timeshare Industry
- Tourism and Leisure
Whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever you want to achieve. With more offices in the South West than any other firm, we’re always on hand to offer face-to-face advice, opening doorways to a whole world of specialisms and services which are available to all of our clients whenever they need them.
To find your nearest office or get in touch with one of our specialist advisers, please go to our contact us page.
Thorne, Carter & Aspen
A knock on the door opened up an opportunity for two well-established local property firms to build a future together. Angus Watson, Director at letting agents Aspen Property Management Ltd in Cullompton, Devon, was working in his office when John Parkin, a director at nearby estate agency Thorne and Carter called in to ask about30/06/22
Westcotts Chartered Accountants acquires Sully & Co Chartered Accountants
Leading South West accountancy firm Westcotts Chartered Accountants today announced it is further investing in its growth through the acquisition of Bridgwater-based Sully & Co Chartered Accountants. With a team of ten, Sully & Co is an established local firm and has served businesses and individuals in and around the town since 1865. The Sully29/06/22
New Corporate Finance Manager brings global experience to Westcotts
Fast-growing South West firm Westcotts Chartered Accountants has expanded its team by appointing a new Corporate Finance Manager. Will Mudd brings 15 years’ corporate finance experience, gained in the UK and Australia. Will is working closely with Partner and Head of Corporate Finance Alison Watts to provide clients across the South West and beyond with29/06/22