Trainee Tax Technician
Westcotts is a Top 50 Accountancy Practice with around 280 team members based in 17 offices across Devon and Somerset.
We are looking for a Tax Trainee to join us on a permanent basis in our Plymouth office from September 2022 onwards.
The Association of Tax Technicians (ATT) is a professional qualification which can help you to achieve a rewarding career in tax and accountancy. You will develop significant knowledge in tax legislation, case law and economics. Under an apprenticeship agreement, we will not only offer you support and mentoring throughout your training; we will also fund the training, pay you your normal salary on the days you attend classes or time in the office to study and give you paid study leave to have extra revision time. You will also receive regular pay reviews. On achievement of the ATT Qualification and with two years’ practical tax experience, students can apply for ATT membership. Members are entitled to use the designatory letters ‘ATT’ after their name and the descriptive title ‘Taxation Technician’.
When not studying you will be gaining valuable work experience supporting the rest of the team in providing a range of taxation services to our clients. You will prepare financial information, reports and returns for a wide range of clients, both businesses and individuals whilst also using computer software to record financial transactions. You will prepare and provide personal and company tax computations, regular VAT returns and bookkeeping services. You will also help in preparing tax returns and other H M Revenue & Customs compliance documents on behalf of clients.
This job description summarises the main duties and responsibilities of the post, however the list is not exhaustive as the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties and projects of similar level and responsibility.
Attributes, Skills, Experience and Qualifications
Ideally the successful candidate will have the following attributes, skills, experience and qualifications
- Analytical, methodical and numerical
- Outgoing, socially confident and emotionally controlled
- A positive attitude, friendly and personable
- Resilient, able to multi-task and work independently / flexibly
- Adaptable, organised and conscientious
- Takes the initiative, ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
- Professional and team orientated in approach
- A strong interest in Tax
- Good working knowledge of Word and Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with proven accuracy and an eye for detail
- Ability to learn new IT skills quickly
- As the role requires the ability to study and pass formal exams, we would look for a strong track record in obtaining qualifications often indicated by strong results in GCSE’s, A-levels (or equivalent), however other academic history will also be considered
- 36.25 hours / 5 days per week
- Annual salary review and regular salary reviews whilst training
- 20 days annual leave plus bank holidays increasing to 25 days plus bank holidays after 3 years’ service
- Death in service 3 x annual salary
- Access to Westfield Rewards and Health scheme
- 24-hour external Employee Assistance Programme helpline
- Flexible benefits including Buy and Sell holiday, Cycle to Work, Payroll Charity Giving and Private Medical Insurance
- Introducing clients and staff commission schemes
- Pension 3% rising to 4% (but matched up to 6%) after 4 years’ service
Opportunities to later progress and gain further qualifications are available for the right candidates.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please click on the following link where you will be able to upload your CV along with a covering letter providing information on why you feel you would be suitable for the role in particular in regards to the desired attributes, skills, experience and qualifications. Please also state your current salary (if applicable), salary expectations and notice period.